Tuesday, May 10, 2011

RonDon't

I am a huge Rajon Rondo fan. I think he plays the game in a unique and stylish way and will have a great career playing the way he does. That said, I think he is a terrible example for young point guards. Playing basketball at my local YMCA and the outdoor courts around Boston and the South Shore of Mass, I have witnessed a trend in younger, smaller players that I really don't like. Every kid is trying to play like Rondo now. I have news for you kids, you're never going be successful playing like that. Rondo gets away with it because he is freakishly fast, has the the wing span of a 7-footer, and hands the size of Vitaly Potapenko's bald spot (for those of you who don't remember him, just take my word for it. The dude's hairline was running away from the rest of his face like it stole his nose's wallet.)

All those natural parts of Rondo's game allow him to make plays that are not fundamentally sound, yet are spectacular. He can dribble up high and quickly bring it down to the ground like nobody I have ever seen before. He doesn't have to use his left hand on layups, he's quick enough that it does not really matter. He can wiggle the ball around in the air while he palms it and scoop in a layup. For everyone else out there that wants to learn how to play basketball fundamentally, he is not the one to watch.

As much as I hate to admit it, watch Jason Kidd or Tony Parker. They are solid examples of how fundamental basketball can lead to success, that there is no need for all the flash that Rondo has to have a good basketball career. Yes, they both have their moments where they make a crazy pass or a really fancy dribble-drive, but for the most part they take care of the ball and just make good decisions. If you do those two things well, you'll have a good career as a point guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment